Even though we get nice warm weather here in Texas (maybe not the case now, but it will be soon), Spring can be a good time to take a vacation with your family.
If you want to keep your home energy efficient while on vacation, what can you do? A few things:
1) Turn off the AC. You should have a programmable thermostat, so just set it for the right temperature once you get home. If you have pets, set the AC for a little higher temperature than normal – around 72 degrees or so. Every degree you raise the temperature saves you about 2-3% on your energy bill.
2) Turn off the water heater. You probably don’t think about this one too often. But, it uses quite a bit of energy, and there’s no need to keep it on while you’re away from home. Turn off the circuit breaker for the water heater. If it’s gas, turn off the gas valve.
When you get back home, allow your hot water tap to run before you turn the gas on once again. Do this to make sure your tank has water in it. If it doesn’t, it can get damaged.
3) Unplug all chargers and electric appliances. Even if you turn them off but leave them plugged in, they still consume some energy. They’re called “energy vampires” when they do this. Plus, if there’s a thunderstorm, you’re guaranteed none of your appliances will be damaged.
4) Use automatic lights if you can. If you live in an area where there’s a good chance someone could break into your home while you’re gone, you’ll probably think to leave a light or two on to scare away intruders. Do it if you have to, but better yet, have timers installed so they turn the lights on automatically.
5) Refrigerator. It’s safe to set your refrigerator, one of the biggest consumers of energy, to around 42 degrees or so. If you’re a hardcore energy saver, or if you’re going to be gone for a long time, unload all the food, place a box of baking soda in the freezer to attract moisture and prevent mold growth, and unplug the fridge.
6) Pool/spa. Lower the temperature setting and reduce the filter run times while you’re gone.
Those tips will help you save on energy costs, and help you reduce the financial burden of your vacation, hopefully making it a little more enjoyable for you and everyone else.
For more money-saving tips, visit http://paylesspower.com. Offering cheap energy plans to suit both personal and business needs, Payless Power is a company committed to providing people not only with some of the best cheap electricity rates in Texas, but also with helpful customer service. Visit the website to learn more about how to save electricity at home, or connect with the online community on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Pinterest.