We humans are creatures of habit – and that’s a good thing most of the time. But then sometimes, you get stuck in a rut doing the same old stuff.
So let’s shake things up a little and use these fun ways to save energy:
- Go for a walk instead of watching TV. What do you do most of the time just after you have supper? Usually you turn on the television.
Give it a break and connect with your family, friends, and neighbors instead.
- Schedule your own power outage. What would you do if the power suddenly went out for 4-6 hours? Pretend that actually is happening to you.
Play board games with your family, hide’n’seek with the children, or whatever fun activities come to mind.
- Work from home. It costs less energy to just use electricity to work from home than it does to commute back-and-forth for most workers. Talk to your boss about doing a 4-week trial to see how it goes – and make sure you do your very best, most productive work.
- Have a raw food competition. Now this is very interesting. Organize the event with your friends and neighbors. The idea is that everyone makes their own meals without using any appliances. Give the winner a prize – or just the satisfaction that they know they’ve made the best dish.
- Get together with others to watch your favorite TV shows. Do your neighbors watch the exact same thing you do at the same time? Save energy weekly by watching the show together. You’ll have more fun too because everyone catches different things from the same show.
- Frost your own windows. Follow this handy-dandy DIY guide to frosting your windows. It blocks out the sunlight so your home isn’t heated and uses less air conditioning. Your room will also stay warmer in the winter.
- Make your own AC unit. Now here’s the thing – you don’t have to be MacGyver (points to you if you get the reference there) to make it happen. All you need is an investment of $30, a fan, a bucket, and a few hours to make your own AC system. Check out this YouTube video to see how it’s done.
It’s Time to Switch it Up (And Off)!
Have more fun in life – you’ll save more energy when it’s fun, and hey, you’ll take some stress off your shoulders too!