Although we don’t know your mother in particular, we can bet she and others across the nation would just love it if you helped save some energy by following these tips:
- Shut the door. Children especially need reminders on this one. Remind them to shut the front and back door, and don’t forget the refrigerator and freezer door too!
- Install dimmer switches. With incandescent light bulbs going by the wayside and LEDs and CFLs taking their place, this tip doesn’t net as much savings as it did in the past. But, you can lengthen a bulb’s life significantly by simply dimming it. And dimmer switches only cost a few bucks to purchase.
- Add a motion sensor. Mom likes the house looking nice at night. But at the same time, you can save energy by only turning on exterior lights when someone needs them to see. They’re inexpensive to purchase, and if your husband’s handy, they’re not too difficult to install either.
- Make the ceiling fan energy efficient. Mom loves that decorative ceiling fan you have in your home, doesn’t she? Energy Star ceiling fans can reduce the load on your HVAC system by as much as 10%, and they only cost $30 to purchase. They also help the temperature around the home feel several degrees cooler, reducing your need to power up the HVAC system.
- Buy her new shades. Cellular and honeycomb shades can significantly reduce the loss of heat in your home. And they’re not all that expensive to purchase either. You can make your mom happy and save her energy in one fell swoop!
- Install an efficient faucet aerator. You can cut your water use from 2.2 gallons per minute to just 1.5. That’s almost 33% savings right there! And if you get a decorative one, mom will appreciate that.
- Get her a nice welcome mat. Wait a minute…this helps conserve energy? Yes, it does in a roundabout way. It cuts the amount of pesticide residue that gets inside your home by 25%! Do it at your front and back door. Then, you don’t have to spend as much energy running a carpet cleaner and vacuum over you floor!
So there you go…some nice ways to make your mom happy for Mother’s Day and save some energy too.
For more ways to save money and electricity, visit http://paylesspower.com. Offering cheap energy plans to suit both personal and business needs, Payless Power is a company committed to providing people not only with some of the best cheap electricity rates in Texas, but also with helpful customer service. Visit the website to learn more about how to save electricity at home, or connect with the online community on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Pinterest.